Richard W. McCallum, MD
Journal of Investigative Medicine
Current Position: Professor of Medicine & Founding Chair, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology.
Education: The University of Queensland and the Queensland Medical School Brisbane, Australia, l963 1968, Graduated Medical School l968, M.B., B.S.
Awards and Honors:
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP) 1976
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) 1978
- Fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology (FACG) 1978
- Endowed Chair: Paul Janssen Professor of Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, l988 1996.
- Elected to American Society for Clinical Investigation, 1989
- Board of Trustees, American College of Gastroenterology, 1984 1990
- President, Virginia GI Society, 1990 1995
- Moreton Award for Original Research in Medicine - Presented by the Southern Medical Association in 1996.
- President, Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, 1997 1998
- President, International Society of Electrogastrography, 1997 1999 and from 2012
- President, Kansas GI Society, 1998 2005
- President, Southern Gut Club, Southern Society of Clinical Investigation, 1989
- Cure Award for Diabetes Research presented by Kansas City Diabetes Association, 2007
- Recipient of Founders Medal Presented by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, February 2009 Association of Professors of Medicine 2009.
- Fellowship in American Gastroenterological Association, AGAF, January 2015
- 2015 Chancellors Council Distinguish Research Award for Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Presented by Chancellor of Texas Tech, Robert Duncan, President in Lubbock, TX, February 13, 2015
- Award for Service to El Paso Community and El Paso County Medical Society 2016
- Texas Medical Association Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Academic Medicine April 2016
- Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (SSCI) Mentor of the Year Award November 2016
- Washington University Medical Center Resident/Fellow Alumni Achievement Award- December 2016.
- Honorary Professor at University of Queensland, Brisbane Australia by appointment of Provost and Senior Vice President of the University in the Department of Medicine and Department of Health and Behavioral Sciences - July 2017.
- Laureate Award, American College of Physicians, Texas Chapter, November 2017.
- The Tinsley Harrism Award for best Research paper published in the American Journal of Medical Sciences in 2017; presented at the annual meeting of the Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, New Orleans, Louisiana, in February 23, 2018.
- 2018 Neurogastroenterology & Motility (NGM) Section Research Mentor Award presented by
- American Gastroenterology Association Institute Council at their annual meeting in Washington, DC, June 5, 2018.
- Henry Christian Award, American Federation for Medical Research, Southern Society for Clinical
- Investigation, February 2019 and 2020.
Current AFMR position: Ex-Officio Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Investigative Medicine
Term: 7/19/19 - 12/31/22