AFMR's diverse membership positions it as one of the few organizations that bridges basic and patient-oriented research in multiple medical disciplines. AFMR members are scientists engaged in original research in clinical and laboratory medicine. AFMR members are automatically members of one of our four regional sections: Eastern, Midwestern, Southern or Western.
- A complimentary print and online subscription to the Journal of Investigative Medicine (Jim), the AFMR’s official journal. In addition, AFMR members are exempt from page charges in JIM.
- Discount on the fee to publish case reports in the Journal of Investigative Medicine – High Impact Case Reports, AFMR’s Open Access journal.
- Reduced registration fees at AFMR Regional and National Meetings.
- Oral and poster presentation possibilities at the Regional Meetings, as well organizing symposia at Experimental Biology each year - a forum for translational research. The AFMR supports participation in selected symposia and reimburses speaker expenses.
- Opportunity to apply for AFMR Awards - including the AFMR Outstanding Investigator Award, Junior Physician Investigator Awards, the Henry Christian Awards, and AFMR Regional Scholar Awards .
- Eligibility to hold leadership roles on AFMR Committees, including the AFMR National and Regional Councils, and to represent AFMR on FASEB subcommittees.
- A Members Only area on the AFMR website where members can update their records, access the journal, access a member directory, and obtain important grant and career information.
- Advocacy on behalf of medical investigators and researchers - the AFMR collaborates with FASEB and Research!America which strengthens the AFMR’s public policy efforts.
Individual Membership Categories
Active Member ($225)
Active Members are individuals who have completed a meritorious investigation in any area of medical research, in most instances including publication. Active members are eligible to vote in national and regional elections and to hold office.
Associate (Trainee) Members ($90)
Associate Members are individuals who have held a doctoral level degree for fewer than six years, who are in training, and/or who do not qualify for active membership. Upon completion of training or at the end of six years an associate member is eligible for active membership.
Medical Student Members ($75)
Medical Student Members are currently enrolled in medical school, pursuing a career in investigative medicine and clinical research.
Special Membership Categories
Active members in good standing for 5 or more years, who have passed their 65th birthday may become Senior Members by sending a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Dues are significantly reduced, covering the cost of the Journal of Investigative Medicine, offering the latest developments in medical research.
Honorary Members shall be former presidents of the AFMR or professionals in any field related to medicine who have displayed all of the following: (1) excellence in medical education, including research/clinical, translational or basic science, (2) performed service to the AFMR and (3) have acted as mentors. Honorary members will be eligible to serve on committees but not hold officer positions. Honorary members shall not pay dues. A letter of application requesting honorary membership must be accompanied by the candidate’s CV and a letter from an Active or Senior member of the AFMR that describes the candidate’s ethical, professional, and personal qualifications, including documentation of mentoring. Submit your nomination to email@example.com.
The AFMR offers two types of institutional memberships as outlined below:
In addition to the individual member benefits indicated above, the institution is entitled to the following:
- 10% discount for subsequent memberships above the maximum in the Tier
- Complimentary job listings on the website, www.afmr.org
- 1 complimentary listing per issue of JIM
- $500 towards Research Day Awards
Mail, fax or scan/email the documents below to:
American Federation for Medical Research
500 Cummings Center, Suite 4550
Beverly, MA 01915
- Tier 1 or Tier 2 AFMR Departmental/Group Payment Form
completed by your Institutional Representative
- AFMR Departmental/Group Membership Form
for all selected members (10 for Tier 1, 5 for Tier 2)
We look forward to having you become a member and your participation in AFMR activities!