Dana Rizk, MD
Southern Section Chair
Current Position: Dr. Dana Rizk, Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Education: She received her BS in Biology from the American University of Beirut and MD from the American University of Beirut.
Clinical Interest: Her clinical research revolves around chronic kidney disease care, polycystic kidney disease and glomerulonephritis management.
Research Interest: Her main research focus revolves around the diagnosis, treatment and outcomes of different glomerulonephritides specifically IgA nephropathy and Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. Another focus of Dr. Rizk's revolves around the delivery of CKD care and education.
Awards and Honors:
- 2018 Top Ten Teacher Department of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- 2017 Chair-elect of Southern American Federation for Medical Research
- 2016 Invited to be a panelist in the first webinar of the Women in Nephrology American Society of Nephrology Career Advancement series entitled "Career Choices in Nephrology: Am I on the Right Track?"
- 2015 Outstanding Division Teacher in Nephrology from the UAB Department of Medicine
- 2014 The Unsung Hero Award for the Division of Nephrology
- 2014 CKD clinic recognized by the Stanford Clinical Excellence Research as Nephrology site across the country that consistently delivered exceptional care
- 2010 Outstanding Division Teacher in Nephrology from the UAB Department of Medicine
- 2005-2006 Emory University Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching (Award given to 4 faculty members in the Internal Medicine Department)
- 2004 Outstanding Presentation Award at the National Kidney Foundation Meeting, Georgia Chapter Sea Island GA
- 2003 Recipient of Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Contribution to the Education of PA students. Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Emory University
Current AFMR position: Southern Section Chair
Term: 3/1/2018 - 2/28/2019