The American Federation for Medical Research (AFMR) hosted a high-profile symposium that convened many of our nationís foremost leaders and influencers in the Health Care sector. This all-day symposium, entitled The Current Crisis in Clinical Research: Where Do We Go?, took place on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 in Washington, D.C. The purpose of the symposium was to generate discussion and action for patient-oriented clinical research in the United States among the constituents who are in the strongest positions to stimulate much-needed change. Without the kind of change these leaders can bring about, the clinical research enterprise in the U.S. will continue to deteriorate, causing irreparable damage to the economy and the quality of medical care patients across the world receive for generations to come. Several panel discussions throughout the day included the following speakers:
View Complete Articles and details here.
- Fran Drescher, cancer survivor, star of the hit TV series "The Nanny", and founder of Cancer Schmancer, www.cancerschmancer.org
- Dr. Anthony Hayward, National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes for Health
- Dr. Lawrence Tabak, Acting Deputy Director of the NIH
- Dr. Douglas Throckmorton, Deputy Director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research of the FDA
- Dr. Molly Kretsch, Deputy Administrator of the Agricultural Research Service, USDA
- Ms. Ellen Embrey, Acting Principal Deputy Asst. Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense
- Dr. Darrell Kirch, President and CEO of the Association of American Medical Colleges
- Dr. Barry Gertz, Senior VP for Clinical and Quantitative Science of Merck & Co.
- Dr. Pamela Davis, Dean of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Dr. Samuel Klein, William H. Danforth Professor of Medicine and Nutritional Science at Washington University School of Medicine
- Dr. Timothy Lipman, Chief, GI-Hepatology-Nutrition Section, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Dr. Kevin Schulman, Professor of Medicine and Business Administration at Duke University Medical Center
- Dr. Alan Buchman, President of the AFMR and Professor of Medicine and Surgery at Northwestern University